Everyone reading this blog better be prepared to dive deep into the best places to eat breakfast in Washington DC. Our only real goal is to help you find the right meal to kick start your day.
The best all-around brunch and breakfast restaurants in Washington DC will be where we begin. We know that many of you will be trying to find delicious eggs, omelets, waffles, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, sandwiches, wraps, bacon, sausage, or more and the spots on that list will have what you are after.
Up next we will get into healthy vegan and vegetarian breakfast options in your area. Our next few subjects are pretty similar with local bakeries, donut, and bagel shops.
Drinks will be our next focus as cafes to get your coffee as well as some more healthy options like smoothies and juice bars get a mention. All day breakfast restaurants near you will wrap this up because we know that the morning hours are not the only time to indulge, and we will try to mention any brunch buffets throughout the post when applicable.
Towards the conclusion you will find a map with every place we mention pinned on it, and anyone that wants to check out our other blogs on this area of the country is welcome to do so right there.
Best Washington DC Breakfast & Brunch Restaurants
You will have a good chance of finding the best bacon, eggs, waffles, pancakes, omelets, and more if you eat at the best Washington DC breakfast and brunch restaurants:
- Ted’s Bulletin at 1818 14th St NW
- Founding Farmers at 1924 Pennsylvania Ave NW
- Busboys and Poets at 450 K St NW
- Farmers & Distillers at 600 Massachusetts Ave NW
- Commissary at 1443 P St NW
- Ellie’s At The Airport at 18218 59th Ave NE, Arlington
- Stomping Ground at 2309 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria
- The Executive Diner at 1400 Duke St, Alexandria
- Dutch Family Restaurant at 12613 Wisteria Dr, Germantown
- Parkway Deli & Restaurant at 8317 Grubb Rd, Silver Spring
- Tastee Diner at 8601 Cameron St, Silver Spring
- The Original Pancake House at 7700 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda
- First Watch at 100 Gibbs St Unit D, Rockville
Ted’s Bulletin serves classic American dishes for breakfast all day near you starting at 7am. Breakfast and brunch items like eggs Benedict, pancakes, French toast, omelets, bread, muffins, hot paninis, sandwiches, burgers, and salads with vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options are offered at Busboys and Poets.
Local breakfast is served all day at Commissary starting at 8am along with smoothies and homemade desserts. Ellie’s provides breakfast and lunch on weekdays from 8am to 2pm and from 7am on weekends.
The Executive Diner offers a unique spin on classic diner fare from shrimp, bacon, and mushrooms to mac and cheese and steak bordelaise.
The Dutch Family Restaurant specializes in full course Amish style meals featuring egg dishes and fresh salads for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Signature pancakes and other American breakfast classics are served all day in Bethesda at The Original Pancake House in a casual atmosphere from 7am to 3pm. Their apple pancake and Dutch baby are both hall mark delicacies which you should definitely try.
First Watch serves freshly prepared to order breakfast and brunch in Rockville including pancakes, French toast, eggs, bacon, cinnamon rolls, and soups.
Vegan & Vegetarian Breakfasts
Have your first meal at one of these healthy vegan or vegetarian breakfast spots if you want to live your best life:
- Chaia at 3207 Grace St NW
- Sticky Fingers Diner at 406 H St NE
- Yuan Fu Vegetarian at 798 Rockville Pike, Rockville
Healthy brunch items in your area including avocado toast, buffalo cauliflower, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, Benedict Florentine, smoothie bowls, salads, and a neat display of baked goods are provided at Sticky Fingers Diner.
Donuts Shops In Washington DC
Or just eat something delicious at one of these donut shops near you:
- Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken at 1308 G St NW
- District Doughnut at 749 8th St SE
- Universal Doughnut Shop at 2012 T St NW
- Donut Run at 6904 4th St NW
- Good Company Doughnuts & Café at 672 N Glebe Rd, Arlington
- Duck Donuts at 3610-F King St, Alexandria
- Elizabeth’s Counter at 804 N Henry St, Alexandria
- Just Fine Donuts at 2310 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria
- Woodmoor Pastry Shop at 10127 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring
- MoMo Mochi at 255 N Washington St, Rockville
Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken is open on weekdays at 8am and 9am on weekends. Both District and Duck sell high quality donuts in your area on weekdays at 6am and 7am on weekends.
You can buy donuts at Universal on weekdays starting at 7am. Donut Run, Good Company Doughnuts and Café, and Elizabeth’s Counter serve tasty treats every day starting at 7am.
Donuts are available at Just Fine throughout the week starting at 8am except for Monday when they are closed.
Woodmoor Pastry Shop is open at 6:30am Tuesday through Friday and 7am on weekends. You can also get great donuts in Rockville at MoMo Mochi but you need to plan ahead if you want them for breakfast because they don’t open until noon.
Local Bagel Shops
Expect to find a wide variety of bagels and probably even some breakfast sandwiches at:
- Bagels Etc at 2122 P St NW #100
- Pearl’s Bagels at 1017 7th St NW
- Call Your Mother at 3301 Georgia Ave NW
- Bullfrog Bagels at 317 7th St SE
- Bagel Uprising at 2307A Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria
- The Chewish Deli at 807 Pendleton St, Alexandria
- Royal Bagel Bakery & Deli at 19725 Germantown Rd, Germantown
- The Bagelry at 36 Vital Way, Silver Spring
- Goldberg’s New York Bagels at 9328 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring
- Bethesda Bagels at 4819 Bethesda Ave, Bethesda
- Izes Deli & Bagelry at 11622 Rockville Pike, Rockville
- Bagel Towne Deli at 9749 Traville Gateway Dr, Rockville
Bagels Etc has a wide range of options including plain, cinnamon, raisin, sesame, poppy honey whole wheat, salt, great grain, onion, bialy, and cheese as well as cream cheese, melts, and pizza bagels.
Hand rolled bagels near you that are chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside are sold at Pearl’s as well as sandwiches, spreads, and other local pantry products.
Signature bagels with a hint of honey as well as inventive bagel sandwiches and Jewish deli classics are available at Call Your Mother.
Bullfrog offers in store, pick up, and delivery of their superb bagels, schmears, and deli delicacies and even provides catering services.
A wide variety of bagels in Alexandria including sesame, poppy, everything, salt, and plain as well as sandwiches, spreads, and seafood are offered at Bagel Uprising.
The Chewish Deli is known for its hand rolled New York style bagels which are offered in single, half six, and baker’s dozen sizes. Their most popular varieties include plain, everything, poppy, asiago, salt, and cinnamon plus sugar.
The Bagelry serves breakfast and hot coffee all day in Silver Spring addition to being well known for their hand rolled and kettle boiled bagels that are prepared with homemade cream cheese.
Goldberg’s has been providing award winning bagels and deli style meals as well as sandwiches, soups, and salads since 2004.
There are lots of bakeries around town that have good early morning options:
- Firehook Bakery at 1909 Q St NW
- Baked & Wired at 1052 Thomas Jefferson St NW
- Seylou Bakery at 926 N St NW #A
- Buttercream Bakeshop at 1250 9th St NW
- Hammond Bread Company at 119 N Olympic Ave, Arlington
- Maribeth’s Bakery at 3103-3107 Colvin St, Alexandria
- Buzz Bakeshop at 901 Slaters Ln, Alexandria
- Woodmoor Pastry Shop at 10127 Colesville Rd, Silver Spring
- Patisserie Manuel at 8810 Brookville Rd, Silver Spring
- Fresh Baguette at 4919 Bethesda Ave, Bethesda
- Les Delices Bakery at 1615 E Gude Dr, Rockville
- Tomaro’s Bakery at 411 N 4th St, Clarksburg
- Vie De France Bakery & Café at 10146 River Rd, Potomac
Firehook Bakery, Buzz Bakeshop, and Fresh Baguette are open for breakfast in your area every day at 7am. Baked and Wired is open seven days a week at 8am.
Baked goods are available at Seylou starting at 9am. You can buy breads and other baked goods at Hammond starting at 8am Tuesday through Saturday.
Maribeth’s Bakery in Alexandria is open at 7am Monday through Saturday. Patisserie Manuel offers a local breakfast menu featuring croque monsieur, croque madame, quiche Lorraine, ham and cheese croissant, BLT on brioche, and turkey cheese baguette Tuesday through Saturday.
High quality baked goods are sold at Les Delices Bakery starting at 9:30am. Vie De France Bakery and Café is open for breakfast in Potomac at 6:30am daily.
Cafes In Your Area
Kick your day off with a caffeine blast at one of these cafes:
- Tryst at 2459 18th St NW
- Sidamo Coffee & Tea at 417 H St NE
- Slipstream at 1333 14th St NW
- The Wydown Coffee Bar at 1924 14th St NW
- Moe’s on Olympic at 434 N Olympic Ave, Arlington
- Café du Soleil at 215 S Union St, Alexandria
- Java Works at 12410 Milestone Center Dr, Germantown
- Kefa Cafe at 963 Bonifant St, Silver Spring
- Kaldi’s Social House Silver Spring at 918 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring
- Lilit Café at 7921 Old Georgetown Rd, Bethesda
- Black Lion Coffee & Café at 9705 Traville Gateway Dr, Rockville
Tryst provides a wide selection of all day brunch and lunch items including baked goods, coffee, smoothies, and specialty drinks. Sidamo Coffee and Tea mainly features English muffins, bagels, and croissants on their breakfast menu.
Breakfast and brunch items such as sandwiches, burritos, bodega style eggs, smoked salmon toast, and granola bowls are served at Slipstream.
The Wydown Coffee Bar features a drip coffee station and espresso bar that offers a rotating selection of specialty coffees as well as home baked pastries.
Cafe du Soleil excels at providing a wide range of hot and cold beverages, sweet and savory foods, and made to order crêpes.
Smoothies & Juice Bars
Wraps, sandwiches, bowls, and other healthy food for your morning should also be available at these smoothie and juice bars:
- Jaco Juice & Taco Bar at 1614, Wisconsin Ave NW
- Robeks Fresh Juices & Smoothies at 1707 L St NW
- South Block at 3210 Grace St NW
- Rush Bowls at 1209 U St NW
- Tropical Smoothie Café at 3811 Fairfax Dr, Arlington
- Zen Press Juice Bar & Cafe at 8120 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria
- MoCo Nutrition at 19857-B Century Blvd, Germantown
- Nips Juice House at 8710 Cameron St, Silver Spring
- Joe & The Juice at 7263 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda
- Coldrip Organics at 1203 Taft St, Rockville
- Playa Bowls at 7733 Tuckerman Ln, Potomac
Jaco Juice and Taco Bar serves breakfast sandwiches, burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and granola and grain all day starting at 8:30am. Robeks is open at 8am Monday through Saturday.
South Block is open on weekdays at 8am and 9am on weekends. Rush Bowls, Joe and The Juice, and Playa Bowls are open for breakfast every day at 8am.
You can get flatbreads, wraps, quesadillas, and sandwiches for breakfast at Tropical Smoothie Café.
Zen Press Juice provides healthy breakfast and brunch in Alexandria with vegan and vegetarian options such as avo toast, guilt free egg sandwich, berry peachy burrata, and smoked salmon bowl starting at 7am Monday through Saturday.
MoCo Nutrition in Germantown is open on weekdays at 7am and 8am on weekends. High quality juices are available seven days a week at Nips. Coldrip Organics is open throughout the week at 10:30am except for Monday and Tuesday when they are closed.
All Day Breakfast Restaurants
When you want your bacon and eggs on your own schedule visit an Washington DC all day breakfast restaurant:
- All Day by Kramers at 1530 19th St NW
- Tony’s Breakfast at 1387 H St NE
- Lincoln’s Waffle Shop at 504 10th St NW
- Table Talk Restaurant at 1623 Duke St, Alexandria
- Lemon Slice Café at 8737 Colesville Rd LL103, Silver Spring
- Silver at 7150 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda
- Silver Diner at 12276 Rockville Pike, Rockville
Tony’s Breakfast offers daily specials as well as create your own platters and sandwiches with a lot of ingredients to choose from. Breakfast and lunch are served all day near you at Lincoln’s where they mainly feature waffles and two eggs option.
Table Talk Restaurant serves French toast, bagels and cream cheese, eggs Benedict, sausage gravy on biscuits, bacon egg and cheese sandwiches, fluffy three egg omelets, and pancakes every day from 7am to 4pm.
There are fine servings of buttermilk pancakes and eggs, bison huevos rancheros, caramel French toast and eggs, pickle fried chicken and waffles, 3 egg omelets, egg combos, avocado toast, oat milk protein pancakes, and Belgian waffles at Silver.
Other restaurants mentioned throughout the post serving all day breakfast in Washington DC include Ted’s Bulletin, The Executive Diner, and The Original Pancake House.
Just in case you were interested we have also written about:
- All-Day Breakfast & Buffets in Baltimore
- All-Day Breakfast & Buffets in Philadelphia
- All-Day Breakfast & Buffets in Richmond
- All-Day Breakfast & Buffets in New York City
Enjoy Your Breakfast In Washington DC
For now that is all we have to mention but check back often because we plan to update this page throughout the year. Now that you know about all of those local breakfast spots to get your eggs, omelets, bacon, pancakes, or waffles as well as buffets, healthy vegetarian and vegan options, donut and bagel shops near you, cafes, smoothie and juice bars, and all day restaurants you can tackle the morning.
Don’t be afraid to mention if we got anything incorrect in the comments, and feel free to share any early morning meal tips for your area that you may have too. Now go have fun enjoying your breakfast in Washington DC.