Hello and welcome to this post on the best places to eat breakfast in San Diego. By the time you finish reading this you will be ready to rush out the door to eat a tasty meal.
Our opening section will discuss the best all-around brunch and breakfast restaurants in San Diego. Whether you are searching for eggs, omelets, waffles, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, sandwiches, wraps, bacon, sausage, or any other delicious morning meal somewhere on that list should have you covered.
Then we will talk about healthy vegan and vegetarian breakfast options. Donuts, bagels, and bakeries will round out our next few topics.
After all of that is out of the way we will pivot to drinks and discuss cafes to get your coffee as well as some more healthy stuff like smoothies and juices. Our final section will tell you about the best all day breakfast restaurants near you because this food tastes so great it shouldn’t only be limited to the morning hours.
Throughout the post any time a brunch buffet is available we will try to point that out, and you can also expect there to be a map for your area towards the end to help you find the closest spot. Anyone that is interested is welcome to check out our other blogs on local breakfast spots in the Southwest right there.
Best Breakfast & Brunch Restaurants In San Diego
If you are searching for places to eat your bacon, eggs, waffles, pancakes, omelets, or any early morning delight the best San Diego breakfast and brunch restaurants are a good place to look:
- Snooze at 3940 5th Ave
- Breakfast Republic at 4465 Mission Blvd
- Hash House A Go Go at 3628 5th Ave
- Aunt Emma’s Pancakes at 700 E St, Chula Vista
- Beach Break Café at 1802 S Coast Hwy, Oceanside
- The Breakfast Mug at 1401 S El Camino Real #1108, Oceanside
- Pegah’s Kitchen at 912 S Redwood St, Escondido
- Golden Egg Omelet House at 316 W Mission Ave #102, Escondido
- Breakfast House at 1464 Graves Ave #109, El Cajon
- Beach Plum Kitchen at 6971 El Camino Real #201, Carlsbad
- Bobby’s Hideaway Café at 1814 Marron Rd, Carlsbad
Snooze offers a seasonal menu of inventive breakfasts in your area on weekdays from 6:30am to 2:30pm and until 4pm on weekends. Breakfast Republic specializes in American classics with a twist like Oreo pancakes, shrimp and grits, and s’mores French toast.
Hash House A Go Go serves creative American brunches every day from 7:30am to 2pm. Some of the best pancakes in Chula Vista roll out of Aunt Emma’s Kitchen along with other local breakfast and lunch items from 6am to 2pm daily.
Beach Break Café serves large portions of American fare starting at 7am in addition to being well known for their giant coffee cake.
A variety of California style breakfast and lunch as well as fair trade organic coffee are available on weekdays from 8am to 2:30pm and from 7:30am on weekends at The Breakfast Mug in Oceanside.
Pegah’s Kitchen is open from 6am to 2:30pm serving pancakes, skillets, omelets, and eggs Benedict and more great breakfasts all day near you. Breakfast and lunch classics are served all day at Golden Egg Omelet House every day from 7am to 2:30pm.
Breakfast House in El Cajon has outdoor tables and offers Traditional American diner fare starting at 7am. Eggs, sandwiches, and other American classics are available seven days a week at Beach Plum Kitchen.
Bobby’s Hideaway Café is a good place to eat American comfort foods for breakfast in Carlsbad from 7am to 7pm except for Tuesday when they are closed.
Vegan & Vegetarian Breakfasts
Want to feel your best throughout the day? Then have your first meal at one of these healthy vegan or vegetarian breakfast spots:
- Tropical Oasis at 417 Telegraph Canyon Rd, Chula Vista
- The Plot at 1733 S Coast Hwy, Oceanside
- Everbowl at 1875 S Centre City Pkwy, Escondido
- Crafted Greens at 745 Jamacha Rd, El Cajon
- Veggie Grill at 965 Palomar Airport Rd #100, Carlsbad
Everbowl specializes in build your own craft superfood bowls with acai, pitaya, matcha, blue majic, vanilla, cacao wow, chewy, coco love, everoats, and chia pudding.
Both Crafted Greens and Veggie Grill are great options for vegan sandwiches, bowls, salads, and much more.
Donuts Shops In San Diego
On the other hand if you just want something that tastes delicious one of these local donut shops should suffice:
- Nomad Donuts at 3102 University Ave
- Rose Donuts at 5201 Linda Vista Rd #100
- Copper Top & Donuts 101 W Washington St
- Devil’s Dozen Donut Shop at 2001 Kettner Blvd
- Yum Yum Donuts at 618 E St #A, Chula Vista
- Sunny Donuts at 601 Broadway, Chula Vista
- Mission Donut House at 1502 Mission Ave, Oceanside
- Parlor Doughnuts at 331 Cleveland St, Oceanside
- Peterson’s Donut Corner at 903 S Escondido Blvd, Escondido
- Donutgram at 1131 E Washington Ave #A, Escondido
- Holey Donuts at 795 Arnele Ave, El Cajon
- Donut Bros at 524 N 2nd St, El Cajon
- The Goods at 2965 State St, Carlsbad
- Get N Go Donuts at 6986 El Camino Real #E, Carlsbad
Noman serves globally inspired donuts and wood fired bagels near you along with coffee from 7am to 2pm except for Monday and Tuesday when they are closed.
Sandwiches and breakfast items are available 24 hours a day at Rose Donuts. Copper Top and Donuts offers craft coffee and tea lattes on weekdays from 6am to 6pm and from 7am on weekdays.
Devil’s Dozen makes classic donuts every day until 1pm. Yum Yum Donuts has a wide range of flavors as well as sandwiches and beverages.
Delectable donuts are available early at Sunny as well as at Mission who opens at 4am.
A variety of handcrafted items like original layered donuts with vegan, gluten free, and keto friendly options as well as local West Coast breakfast and Third Wave coffee are served every day from 6am to 8pm at Parlor.
You can get donuts, pastries, and ice cream all throughout the day at Peterson’s. Donutgram in Escondido is a family owned and operated shop providing handmade and vegan cereal cake donuts from 6am to 6:30pm Monday through Friday and until 2:30pm on Sunday.
Donut Bros serves fresh pastries along with good coffee every day from 5am to 9pm. Inventive donut flavors like stuffed Nutella and s’mores are served at The Goods except for Monday when they are closed.
You can buy really good donuts at Get N Go seven days a week starting at 6am.
Bagel Shops Near You
You should be able to find a wide variety of bagels and probably some breakfast sandwiches at:
- The Daily Bagel at 7770 Regents Rd
- Big City Bagels Café at 1010 University Ave
- Blue Box Bagels & Brew at 6615 Flanders Dr #C
- Einstein Bros Bagels at 374 E H St #1701, Chula Vista
- 101 Bagels & Subs at 323 N Coast Hwy #C, Oceanside
- I Love Bagels at 3910 Vista Way #101, Oceanside
- Signature Bagel & Deli at 332 W Valley Pkwy, Escondido
- Golden Bagel Café at 2744 Fletcher Pkwy, El Cajon
- Lang’s Bakery at 1375 Fayette St, El Cajon
- Garden State Bagels at 6020 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad
Both Nomad Donuts and Yum Yum Donuts from our previous list sell tasty bagels near you too.
Bakeries will have many different types of foods that can kick your day off right:
- Starry Lane Bakery at 3925 Fourth Ave
- 85C Bakery Café at 5575 Balboa Ave #330D
- Edelweiss Bakery at 11639 Duenda Rd
- La Concha Bakery at 334 E St, Chula Vista
- Terzo Bakery & Café at 357 3rd Ave #A, Chula Vista
- Petite Madeline Bakery at 223 N Coast Hwy, Oceanside
- O’side Bakery at 3815 Mission Ave #101, Oceanside
- Cute Cakes Bakery & Café at 345 W Grand Ave, Escondido
- Al Sultan Baklava & Bakery at 131 Jamacha Rd, El Cajon
- Flour Power Cakery at 2389 Fletcher Pkwy, El Cajon
- Carlsbad Danish Bakery at 2805 Roosevelt St, Carlsbad
- Prager Brothers Artisan Breads at 5611 Palmer Way #C, Carlsbad
Starry Lane Bakery sells classic treats that are free of peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, eggs, gluten, and soy on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. International desserts, breads, coffee, and tea are served every day from 8am to 8:30pm at 85C Bakery Café.
Terzo Bakery and Café offers cakes, cookies, pastries, and Mexican treats on weekdays starting at 7am and 8am on weekends. Local breakfast and lunch fare as well as French pastries, coffee, and espresso are served at Petite Madeline Bakery starting at 7:30am.
Freshly baked cakes, pastries, breakfast, lunch, and coffee are offered every day from 6am to 3pm at O’side Bakery.
A delectable selection of signature cupcakes, cookies, and freshly baked pastries as well as Southern inspired breakfast in Escondido are provided at Cute Cakes Bakery and Café from 8am to 4pm Tuesday through Saturday.
Flour Power Cakery is a well known bakery in your area creating unique custom designed cakes for weddings and other special occasions from 9am to 5pm Tuesday through Friday and until 3pm on Saturday.
Carlsbad Danish Bakery makes custom cakes, coffee cakes, kringles, Danishes, French and almond croissants, and cookies from scratch starting at 6am.
Prager Brothers specializes in organic grain loaf breads, artisan pastries, and sandwiches from 8am to 4:30pm Monday through Saturday and until 3pm on Sunday.
Cafes In Your Area
Get your caffeine boost when you pick up your coffee at one of these cafes in town:
- Communal Coffee at 2335 University Ave
- Kakawa Coffee at 3655 Voltaire St
- Holsem Coffee at 2911 University Ave
- Agave Coffee & Café at 303 H St #107, Chula Vista
- Jitters Coffee Pub at 510 N Coast Hwy #D, Oceanside
- Kettle Coffee & Tea at 119 E Grand Ave, Escondido
- Antique Row Café at 1185 E Main St, El Cajon
- Succulent Café at 505 Oak Ave, Carlsbad
Communal serves breakfast and lunch items as well as pastries every day from 7am to 7pm.
Excellent espresso, kombucha, and other non caffeinated beverages as well as regular and vegan pastries are available from 7am to 4pm Tuesday through Saturday and from 8am on Monday and Tuesday at Kakawa Coffee.
Holsem offers home roasted fair trade coffee, creative blends, teas, and snacks from 7am to 5pm daily. Breakfast, brunch, and lunch as well as locally roasted coffee, tea, and new seasonal drink specials are served on weekdays from 7am to 3pm and from 8am on weekends at Agave.
Jitters Coffee Pub serves up pastries, light fare, and espresso for early breakfast in Oceanside from 7am to 1pm Monday through Saturday. Locally roasted brews, pastries, and paninis are available on weekdays from 7:30am to 3pm and from 8am on weekends at Kettle.
Antique Row Café excels at providing classic sandwiches and café fare every day in El Cajon starting early from 6am to 3pm. Many people order pastries and espressos at Succulent Café starting at 9am.
Smoothies & Juice Bars
Usually these smoothie and juice bars will also sell some wraps, sandwiches, bowls, and other healthy food for your morning:
- Liv Juice Bar & Smoothies at 1251 University Ave
- Vitality Tap at 650 1st Ave
- Juice Alchemy at 3156 5th Ave
- Juice Adventure at 935 Otay Lakes Rd, Chula Vista
- Robeks at 374 E H St, Chula Vista
- Roots Craft Juice at 631 S Cleveland St, Oceanside
- Gofruit at 272 E Via Rancho Pkwy, Escondido
- Frutimania Juices & Delights at 330 W Felicita Ave #E-6, Escondido
- Tropifruit Juice Bar at 762 N Johnson Ave, El Cajon
- Surf City Squeeze at 2525 El Camino Real, Carlsbad
- Choice Superfood Bar & Juicery at 430 Carlsbad Village Dr, Carlsbad
Both Tropical Oasis and Everbowl from our best vegan and vegetarian breakfasts in San Diego list also provide juices and smoothies.
All Day Breakfast Restaurants
When you want your bacon and eggs later in the day head to an all day breakfast restaurant in San Diego:
- Morning Glory at 550 W Date St
- Brian’s 24 at 828 6th Ave
- Broken Yolk Café at 355 6th Ave
- Family House of Pancakes at 562 Broadway, Chula Vista
- Don’s Country Kitchen at 2885 Roosevelt St, Carlsbad
- Shorehouse Kitchen at 2833 State St, Carlsbad
Morning Glory is open every day from 7am to 3pm serving global breakfast and brunch all day. Brian’s 24 is a local favorite serving up huge portions of comfort food ranging from breakfast burritos to burgers from 7am to 2pm daily.
Mexican dishes, sandwiches, and all day breakfast in your area are served at Broken Yolk Café on weekdays from 6am to 2:30pm and until 3pm on weekends. You can eat breakfast, sandwiches, and burgers seven days a week from 7am to 2pm at Family House of Pancakes.
Don’s Country Kitchen provides all day breakfast in Carlsbad as well as American comfort foods starting at 8am except for Wednesday when they are closed. A diverse menu of local breakfast items are offered all day at Shorehouse Kitchen.
Both Kitchen and Golden Egg Omelet House from our initial breakfast and brunch serve it all day too.
You are also welcome to read our posts on:
Enjoy Your Breakfast In San Diego
Well, we wish we had more to share but for now that is all we’ve got. After reading about all of those local breakfast spots to get your eggs, omelets, bacon, pancakes, or waffles as well as buffets, healthy vegetarian and vegan options, donut and bagel shops near you, cafes, smoothie and juice bars, and all day restaurants you should be ready for your next meal.
Do us and our future readers a favor by mentioning if we got anything incorrect in the comments, and feel free to share any early morning meal tips for your area that you may have too. Now go have fun enjoying your breakfast in San Diego.